With Willards Kitchen BBQ Rub
Makes 8 servings
Wonderful BBQ Chicken Recipe. Classic with a zing. The brine is well worth the time! Serve and cook with Willards Kitchen BBQ Sauce.
- 2 quarts water
- 2 Tablespoons kosher salt
- 1/4 cup brown sugar (white will work too)
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed with knife
- 4-5 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 60 oz (amost 4 pounds) of chicken (thighs and legs are my favorite, but breasts will work too)
- 4-5 Tablespoons Willards Kitchen BBQ Rub
Directions (Step by Step)
- For the Brine: In a mixing bowl, whisk together the water, salt, sugar, garlic and thyme. Transfer to a 2 gallon plastic bag.
- Rinse and pat dry the chicken.
- Add chicken to bag and seal, pressing out as much of the air as you can.
- Refrigerate 2 hours (if you have less time, then that is better than nothing).
- Make the BBQ Sauce (see recipe).
- Preheat oven to 375 and heat grill to medium high (you can use just one or the other, but using both methods makes for a perfect, crusty, tender BBQ chicken.
- Wipe grates of grill with a paper towel that has been rolled up and dipped in oil to create a nonstick surface.
- Take the chicken out of the brine and pat dry with paper towels.
- Rub the Willards Kitchen BBQ Rub all over the chicken pieces.
- Arrange the chicken on the grill and cook for 10 minutes, turning over after 5 minutes.
- Transfer chicken to cookie sheet (sheet pan) and place in the oven and cook for 15 minutes.
- Remove and liberally coat with BBQ Sauce using a mop or brush.
- Return to oven and cook for 25 more minutes, basting with the BBQ Sauce after about 15 minutes.
- Serve with extra sauce.