With Willards Kitchen All Purpose Seasoning
Makes about 20 appetizer servings
One of my catering favorites, this tart is one of my most requested items. Flaky puff pastry and sweet caramelized onions give this tart a rich and well rounded flavor.
- ½ pound cream cheese, whipped is easiest to work with
- 1 small bunch basil (about 30-40 leaves)
- 1 small bunch oregano (about 10 twigs)
- 1 ½ Tablespoons Willards Kitchen All Purpose Seasoning
- 3 large onions (I prefer Walla Walla or yellow)
- 1-2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 egg plus 1 Tablespoon water for egg wash
- 1 sheet puff pastry
- Flour for rolling out puff pastry
Directions (Step by Step)
- Defrost puff pastry at room temp for 45 minutes so it is easy to work with.
- Let cream cheese sit at room temp for 30 minutes so it is soft. If using whipped cream cheese you can skip this step.
- Clean and chop basil and oregano leaves.
- Mix cream cheese, basil, oregano and All Purpose Seasoning either with spatula or food processor. Put in bowl and set aside.
- While the puff is defrosting, caramelize onions in a large pot or sauté pan. Over medium high heat add oil. Cut onions in half, remove the butt ends, and slice into about ¼ inch strips. Add to hot oil, stirring every few minutes until onions get dark and soft but not burnt (if you notice the pan getting too dark and burnt on the bottom it is good to add a half cup of water and scrape the bits off). Total time about 20-25 minutes. Spread out on sheet pan and let cool. (Tip – try cooling onions in refrigerator for fewer tears before slicing) Old wives tale…I’ve heard that chewing gum can also help with the crying.
- Roll out dough to make a 12” by 12” square using the flour so nothing sticks.
- Roll over the edges of the dough to form a ½ to 1 inch border.
- Stamp edges with fork. Poke holes all over the middle of the puff with the fork as well.
- Fold over like a piece of paper to help you move the dough to the sheet pan lined with parchment paper. Unfold.
- Put in 400 degree over (bottom rack) for 3-4 minutes to harden just a little. Take out.
- Put on a layer of herbed cream cheese, followed by the caramelized onions.
- Brush edges with egg wash.
- Bake for about 30 minutes until golden brown around edges and crispy on bottom.
- Cut into squares of desired size, serve and enjoy!