Crab Cakes with Lemon Dill Sauce
With Willards Kitchen Seafood Rub and Seasoning
Makes 4 Servings
The bright flavor of the lemon and dill in the Willards Kitchen Seafood Rub and Seasoning are balanced perfectly with the creamy texture of the sauce. Enjoy over lettuce or as an appetizer.
For the Sauce
For the Cakes
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- 1 green onion, finely chopped
- 2 Tablespoons finely chopped red bell pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 Tablespoons milk or heavy cream
- 1 Tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 egg
- 1 cup bread crumbs (preferably panko)
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan
- 1 pound white or claw crab meat, picked free of any bits of shell
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
Directions (Step by Step)
- To make the sauce, combine all of the ingredients in a bowl and stir well. Refrigerate until chilled. The sauce will thicken as it chills.
- To prepare the crab cakes, melt 1 tablespoon of butter in a heavy skillet over medium heat. Cook the onion, bell pepper, and garlic until the pepper is limp, approximately 3 minutes. Add the cream, mustard, 1 egg, cayenne pepper and 1/2 cup bread crumbs, to taste, and mix well. Gently fold in the crab meat.
- Form the mixture into 8 patties, about 1/2-inch thick. In a mixing bowl, combine the remaining 1/2 cup of bread crumbs with the Parmesan. Pat this topping onto both sides of the patties. Refrigerate until firm, about 2 hours.
- Using a skillet, combine the oil and remaining 2 tablespoons of butter. Saute the crab cakes in the hot oil-butter mixture for approximately 3 minutes on each side or until golden brown. These crab cakes can also be baked for 7 to 10 minutes in a 400 degree oven.
- To serve, spoon a dollop of the lemon dill sauce along side each crab cake.