Easy and Healthy Split Pea Soup...with Bacon!
With Willards Kitchen All Purpose Seasoning
On a cold day, all you want is something to keep you warm. This dish will do just that! It's great when mixed with sour cream and shredded cheddar cheese, or just as is! Double or triple the recipe and freeze the rest. Did I forget to mention..no ham hock here...but we do have BACON!
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup small diced celery
- 1 cup chopped bacon
- 1/2 Teaspoon oregano (optional)
- 1-2 Tablespoons Willards Kitchen All Purpose Seasoning
- 2 cups small to medium diced carrots
- 1 lb dried split peas - sorted (some can come with little rocks and bits in the package)
- 8 cups low-sodium chicken stock (vegetable stock is good too)
Directions (Step by Step)
- Saute Bacon in stockpot over medium heat until almost crispy. Drain as much fat as you want..or leave it in for a less healthier option (your choice.)
- Sauté onion, celery and garlic in remaining bacon fat, over medium high heat for about 10 minutes, making sure not to burn the garlic, otherwise it will be bitter.
- Add in carrots, oregano, Willards Kitchen All Purpose Seasoning, split peas, and chicken stock.
- Simmer for about 40-60 minutes until all the peas are soft. Continue to stir to prevent soup from burning.
- The soup is now ready to serve. If a creamier taste is desired, an immersion blender can be used in the pot, or small cups of soup can be added to your blender on a slow speed, or you might be re-decorating your kitchen with green goodness or even burning yourself!
- Serve with a dollop of sour cream and shredded cheddar cheese (optional.)